Monday, May 3, 2010

A Special Present!

I had a Very Special Package come in today! I went to pick it up, and behold! It is a package from Hong Kong.


If you can see, it is a package from James Ng! Yes, him of the famous Chinese steampunk paintings! James asked me a while back if I could do him a favour by taking some prints of his to Steampunk World's Fair, and  who am I to say no? 

With a warm glow within me, I took it open and promptly began tearing it up. Gently, because I didn't want to destroy the wrapping, but in the end, I had to! Because there was so much cellophane tape along the edges. I almost missed the other side of the package, which showcased his very nice handwriting:


You will never see such penmanship from me, even though I'm a writer. And after teaching all this off... it still wasn't over! Look at how much more work I had to go through:


D: I nearly broke a nail taking off that cellotape, ya'll!


Success! Then I had to move away from the kitchen to some place where there was actually flat space for me to lay stuff out onto:


OK, a lot of it was styrofoam. But! I have the contents out! Now what is it?!


Yea! Big prints and small prints! And yes, those small prints are indeed inside a plastic bag emblazoned with teddy bears. Let's have a closer look:



Alright, out of the silly bag now: small prints! These handsome fellas are 4 x 6 inches (I think. I can't guess length very well and have no ruler), and three designs are available:


There are prints of the Immortal Empress, the Imperial Inventor, and the Imperial Airship.

You know what the best part is?

THEY ARE FREEBIES FOR PEOPLE COMING TO 
STEAM AROUND THE WORLD 
AT STEAMPUNK WORLD'S FAIR

Hosted by the inestimable Ay-Leen the Peacemaker of BeyondVictoriana.com and myself, Steam Around the World will showcase works that extend beyond the purview of traditional Eurocentric, British-rooted steampunk. I'll yoink the presentation description here:

Date: Sunday, May 16th at 11 AM
Room: TBA
Length: 1 hour, 15 min
Beyond Victoriana, what steampunk possibilities exist? Come join us as we take you on a trip around the world to see how steampunk manifests in the minds of those who don’t think within an Eurocentric context, whether they blend Western influences, or use recognizably steampunk elements within a distinct flavour outside of Europe.
Featuring tidbits from this blog, intellectual shenanigans, and examples from artists, musicians, writers, & thinkers who are expanding the cultural horizons of steam.

So! Sounds awesome, right? Want one of these sweet, sweet prints for yourself? Of course you do. These prints are superb. Since you're not looking at a computer screen, you could stare at the little details in the prints, no matter how small, forever

No, you cannot reserve them. We will be giving them out with handouts by random. I won't tell you how many there are, either. You'll just have to take your chances and get there on time. 

See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment